Monday, August 6, 2012

Making Connections

Natural inspiration found around Hobart
My First Year Intensive at Clark was "Discourse, Self, & Coolness"; the subject and the professor/my advisor (Michael Bamberg) encouraged me to make connections between the different classes I was enrolled in, as well as what I already knew and experienced. Even though I am taking my four UTas units across three different departments (Fine Arts, Psychology, and Geography), I can't help but keep making connections. I was so inspired by Cognitive Neuroscience that I wanted to explore the topic in my drawing project. I am just amazed at the spontaneous movement of energy in the millions of neurons that makes up a human nervous system. Then I started recognizing the random patterning in nature. Branches and roots of trees, rivers and water-flow on a map, and even just cracks in walls or the sidewalk. People rarely stop to think of these things as they walk down the street, just as the intricate system of neuron webs which allows us to live, think, and move, is often looked over. I think it is so beautiful and inspiring. Hopefully I can expose this idea through my own work.

A collection of neurons..
I can't wait to carry these connections into my project. I just bought some black, red and blue ink. I want to explore as many ways of mark making as I can. I am going to try to keep it as natural as possible, whether that means letting gravity lead the ink through the space or letting the energy from my mind travel down my arm and to the paper. I want to lose control in the process, which isn't always easy for me. Most importantly, I hope to keep it relaxed and enjoyable.

 Greg Dunn Visual Art   <>  Visit Greg Dunn's website to see more inspiration. He is "exploring the fusion of art and science through designs in gold leaf"

2 comments:

  1. YayyayYAY I love biology art haha. My genetics professor was obsessed with it and used to show it to us all the time - neurons definitely present a huge opportunity for art and design. Greg Dunn is awesome and his artwork is not only beautiful but really accurate. In early development neurons don't grow dendrites + axons randomly, but are directed by positive and negative feedback from neutrophins (essentially proteins and neurotransmitters) in their environment. Maybe you can play around with that concept in your art?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I want to make mine accurate as well, so I've been studying microphotos of neurons since I can't actually look through a microscope. Maybe! I wonder if certain drawing materials would be attracted to each other. I still don't know where I'm going to end up, just trying to learn as much as I can before I decide on my final project. I'd really like to make it 3d somehow. Know of any other artists I can check out?

    ReplyDelete